Australian senator Nick Xenophon’s broadside against Scientology in Tuesday’s adjournment speech has attracted media interest around the world.
The opportunity to cover such serious allegations with the legal protection accorded to reports on a parliamentary speech was too good to miss.
But Senator Xenophon also tabled more than 50 pages of correspondence from his sources into the Senate files.
Some of the identifying details were deleted, but he made it clear that the police would be getting the unexpurgated versions.
The letters, as submitted to the Senate now carry the same parliamentary privilege. What follows is a summary of the allegations they contain.
- Aaron Saxton's Letter I: Australia (pp44-48 of the linked document);
- Aaron Saxton's Letter II: the United States (pp48-53);
- The Detheridge Letters (pp1-4 for Dean and 5-11 for Ana);
- Paul Schofield's Letter (pp12-18);
- Kevin Mackey's Letter (pp19-22);
- The Underwoods' Letters: abusive interrogation (Tim pp23-25 and Carmel 26-34);
- Carmel Underwood's Letter II;
- Peta O'Brien's Letter: medical neglect (pp35-43);
- Peta O'Brien's Letter II.
And more to come...